[Spambayes] RE: tbird and spambayes not playing well together.

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 22:03:11 CET 2004

sean wrote:
> Maybe i need a cvs lesson.
>
> I have an /opt/spambayes-cvs directory. removed the spambayes
> directory from there. Then to start all over again:
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/spambayes
> co spambayes
>
> which brought not just the script directories.
>
> cd spambayes
> ls
> build          MANIFEST.in    README-DEVEL.txt  spambayes
> WHAT_IS_NEW.txt
> CHANGELOG.txt  NEWTRICKS.txt  README.txt        src          windows
> contrib        Outlook2000    runtest.sh        TESTING.txt
> CVS            POP3PROXY.txt  scripts           testtools
> LICENSE.txt    pspam          setup.py          utilities
>
>   du -s
> 4852    .
>
> then:
>
> python setup.py install
>
> which put a bunch of stuff in
> spambayes-cvs/spambayes/build/lib/spambayes.
>
> I saw nothing going into site-packages. Is this the problem?

That all looks correct, except that I have no idea where the build/lib
directory came from.  "setup.py install" should have copied the "spambayes"
subdirectory from your "/opt/spambayes-cvs/spambayes" source directory into
"site-packages".

I've never run this on a Linux/Unix-based system myself, and I don't know
what the distutils code may do differently based on environment conditions
such as permissions.  Does the account from which you ran setup.py have
write permissions on your "site-packages" directory?  Also try manually
removing the "spambayes" subdirectory in "site-packages" and see what, if
any, error message you get in that case.

--
Kenny Pitt