[Spambayes] V1.01 not hanging on to settings??

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Wed Dec 22 19:23:47 CET 2004

It's doing some other twitchy stuff too-- seemed to be showing me a
different list of messages for review depending on what method I used to
bring up the review page, and which browser.

Are there any known issues with Firefox 1.0??

I wasn't keep track of what was happening when and how I started the review
page. I'm getting the best and most consistent results by double-clicking
the tray icon and letting it start IE 6 (arrg).

I had desktop shortcuts that pointed to http://localhost:8880/review which
I thought would be pretty universal, but it seems like that was acting
twitchy too.

I tried pasting http://localhost:8880/review into firefox just once or
twice and lots of wierd stuff happened. Hard to remember now, but I think
it told be I had no messages for review when I did, then I started the
review page another way and there WERE messages there, or... I can't
remember. Gee, lots of help, right?

At 03:11 PM 12/22/2004 +1300, you wrote:
> > I installed 1.01 a few days ago. I run it as a service,
> > with the tray icon, Win XP pro.
> >
> > It doesn't seem to hang onto certain Advanced settings.
> > E.g. default training for Spam, Ham, and Unsure. I also
> > believe I set an option in Experimental settings which
> > like the advanced stuff did not survive a reboot.
> >
> > Against the advice of the install help, I stored my options in
> > C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application
>Data\SpamBayes\Proxy\bayescustomize.ini.
>
>Did you do this manually, or did you use the web interface?  If manually,
>then the service might not be finding that file.  If via the web interface,
>then it ought to be consistent.

I used the web setup exclusively.

>(The service could look for/store things in better places than it currently
>does - 1.1 will attempt to fix this).
>
> > I guess I'm hoping that would allow them to be used by
> > more than one user of this PC.
>
>An easier way would be to put it somewhere that all users have access to,
>and add a global environment setting (e.g. with the System control panel)
>'BAYESCUSTOMIZE' that pointed to it.

Env variable of the form
BAYESCUSTOMIZE=D:\PROGRAMS\SPAMBAYES\SETTINGS

Like that?? Or does it have to specify the file too?

> > Is that the source of my problems?
>
>Possibly.  The path to the configuration file is at the top of the web
>configuration page - see if it stays consistent or not.  If it doesn't, then
>there's a problem to be figured out.
>
>=Tony.Meyer

[Computing] Contrary to popular belief, the world is not ASCII. --
from the xemacs 19.12 documentation on define-key
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)  WEB ADDRESS http//www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, Cisco Certified CCNA