[Spambayes] Configuring proxy details?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Dec 29 02:12:06 CET 2004

> This must be a FAQ,

Nope :)

> I'm running Outlook 2003 on Windows XP behind a corporate
> firewall.  If I click "Check for new versions" I get a busy
> hourglass for a while, and when it times out I get a message
> telling me to check my Internet connection.
> The "new in 1.0.1" notes say: "Checking whether a new version
> is available should now work for users who have entered proxy
> details in their configuration file."  So how do I enter proxy
> details in my configuration file?

Note that this will not work if you use the "Automatic configuration file"
setting for a proxy, which IE and various other browsers support.
Supporting that is just too much work to be worth doing for something like
checking for a new version.

If you do have actual proxy details to enter, then:

  1.  Open the "default_bayes_customize.ini" file in your data directory.
If there isn't such a file, create one (with (eg) Notepad).

  2.  At the end of that file, add these lines, filling in the appropriate
details (excluding the """):

"""
[globals]
proxy_username:username
proxy_password:password
proxy_server:proxy.example.com:8081
"""

If you don't need to specify a username/password, you can leave those lines
out.  If your proxy port is 8080, you can leave out the (eg) :8081 part.

  3. Restart Outlook.

=Tony.Meyer