[Spambayes] Delete from server

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun Feb 1 17:48:47 EST 2004

[Dreas van Donselaar]
> Then what is the option "POP3 account settings, Advanced, Remove from
> server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'" used for? Doesn't that mean
> Outlook can remove individual messages from the POP3 server?

Yes, it can.

The deeper problem is that the Outlook addin plays no role in talking to
your POP3, IMAP or SMTP servers.  It contains no code *capable* of talking
to them, either.  So there's nothing it can do here unless someone
contributes a large pile of new code.  Other ways of using the spambayes
codebase do contain pieces capable of talking POP3 (etc), but they're not
part of the Outlook addin.

There's a bug in Outlook 2000 that can be exploited, though (I'm told it
doesn't work this way in later versions of Outlook, but have no personal
knowledge of this one way or the other):  create a new .pst file, create
your Spam folder in that .pst file, and tell the addin to move spam into
that new Spam folder.

Outlook 2000 treats messages moved to a different .pst file exactly the same
way it treats messages "deleted from 'Deleted Items'":  if you have the
latter Outlook option enabled, the spam will vanish from your POP3 server.
The addin plays no direct role in this, and the same thing will happen if,
for example, you move messages by hand from your Inbox to a folder in a
different .pst file.

If you're a programmer, you could try adapting Andrew Dalke's program:

    http://www.entrian.com/sbwiki/SpamBayesCuller

Andrew doesn't use Outlook, though, and it's unclear how to make that
program play nice with Outlook.