[Spambayes] Train reliably on "forwarded" messages?

Rhesa Rozendaal perl at rhesa.com
Wed Feb 4 11:53:58 EST 2004

Christoph Berendes wrote:

> I run spambayes on my mail server using procmail and it works brilliantly. Thank you thank you thank you.

I use the same setup.

> I'm mostly reading my mail via Eudora on the mac.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird ;^)

> What I'd like to do, for training, is forward "spam to be trained" to a special address (e.g. train-spam at myserver.com) and similarly for ham - train-ham at mailserver.com. I would then run the mailboxtrain.py on the server on the inboxes for those two dummy accounts.

You can use procmail to store a copy of those messages in separate
folders, using a recipy like this:

:0 c
trainham

This will store an identical copy in the "trainham" folder.
You should put it before any normal filter recipies.

> However, I realize that the mail messages in these two inboxes will look a little different than when they showed up in my inbox ("Forwarded" headers, addressed to "train-spam" rather than "berendes", >>> down the side).
>
> WIll this "forward junk" throw off the training process?

No, since it now is an identical copy ;)

HTH,

Rhesa