[Spambayes] Funny behavior of Outlook plugin

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Fri Feb 6 08:22:48 EST 2004

R. K. Coe

  _____

I don't know whether this is a bug or a feature; but it was a bit unexpected, so I thought I'd pass it along.

I use the Outlook plugin (0.85) with Office 2000 under Windows XP Pro. Last night I received a real message that got misclassified as spam. I unthinkingly answered it before moving it back to my inbox, so my answer went into the spam folder. (Outlook does that if you answer a message in a folder other than your inbox.) So I selected it and clicked the "Recover" button, whereupon I got the "No filterable mail items are selected" popup, and the message didn't move. I was able to move it without using Spambayes, and the Recover button did, of course, work on the original message.

My guess is that this behavior is a side effect of an implicit decision not to assign any training value to a message that hasn't been scanned. That's not illogical, but I don't think that particular error message (whose ubiquity belies its lack of information content) quite conveys the reasoning.

No big deal. It just wasn't what I would have expected.

Bob <mailto:rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV>

MIS Department, City <http://www.cambridgema.gov/>  of Cambridge
831 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge MA 02139  ·  617-349-4217  ·  fax 617-349-6165