[Spambayes] RE: Ideas for an MSc project please...

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Mon Feb 9 14:50:34 EST 2004

Actually, Chris wasn't complaining about the unreliability of his mail system; he was complaining about the impact on his throughput of server-side filtering. And I think he has a point. Email clients usually have more than enough capacity to take on the filtering load for a single user; email servers have to be pretty beefy to handle the load for an entire user community. Yeah, he could (and apparently will) throw more hardware at the problem. But given the well-known difficulty of collecting training data for a server-side Bayesian filter, why not just admit that this particular solution works better on the client?

Bob