[Spambayes] RE: Bayes Outlook Plugin & POP Proxy DBs

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Feb 9 17:33:52 EST 2004

> I hadn't realized that the Outlook plugin offered a choice of
> database formats.

I spoke too soon.  Checking, I see that the plug-in will always use bsddb
unless it can't find a bsddb module to use, in which case it will use a
pickle.  If you're running from source, then it's easy to change this
(around line 97 of manager.py put "use_db = False"), but if you're running
the binary, you can't (and you're guaranteed to have the appropriate bsddb
module installed).

> Is this option described anywhere? Is it
> crazy to even think about deviating from the default?

Well, almost.  You'd find that you'd use a lot more memory with a pickle,
and the time to load Outlook would be much longer, as would the time taken
to train (since training involves saving the db, which is slower).
Classifying could be faster, though, and you'd avoid all possibility of the
RUNRECOVERY errors (which are pretty rare with the plug-in, however).

=Tony Meyer

---