[Spambayes] SpamBayes and Hotmail

Toni spambayes.10.quihodiria at spamgourmet.com
Thu Feb 12 09:30:50 EST 2004

Hi,

I have been using the SpamBayes Outlook plugin to filter several Hotmail accounts for about a month. I have found several problems, most of minor importance but I have found a big one that keeps me from using it anymore. I don't know if these are already known, so I will expose them.

The "important" one:

For some reason spam attachments end up in IE's cache. This would not be a problem if it wouldn't sound alarms and whistles about viruses. I don't mind having a virus in IE's cache if it will never gain control, but the corporative antivirus thinks otherwise. After a couple of incidents with IT I have decided I can not keep SpamBayes :-(  (at least in this configuration, I will try to find other ways).

Other minor inconveniences:

Whenever Outlook starts SpamBayes tries to do something with the Hotmail Inboxes, but those are not yet available (need some time) and SpamBayes stops. It requires restarting SpamBayes every time.

It does not appear to filter messages from Hotmail by itself. Tried background filtering, but does not work either. If you explicitly ask for filter through toolbar it works fine.

Is there a way to use SpamBayes on Hotmail without using Outlook? I will tray to experiment with diferent POP and IMAP to Hotmail gateways...

Toni