[Spambayes] SpamBayes and Hotmail

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Feb 12 19:48:57 EST 2004

> For some reason spam attachments end up in IE's cache. This
> would not be a problem if it wouldn't sound alarms and
> whistles about viruses.

Is this definitely spambayes?  i.e. if you disable spambayes does it still
happen?  Does it happen if you just score messages, or only if you score &
move them?  When the messages are filtered, are they moved between Hotmail
folders, or from a Hotmail folder to a local folder?  (I'm not all that
familiar with Hotmail, so I'm trying to figure out what it is that spambayes
is doing that causes the caching).

> Whenever Outlook starts SpamBayes tries to do something with
> the Hotmail Inboxes, but those are not yet available (need
> some time) and SpamBayes stops. It requires restarting
> SpamBayes every time.

This might be one of the bugs that is fixed in the latest 1.0a9 (0.9)
release (the announcement will go out at some point today, but the installer
is there on sourceforge already).  It'd be worth trying this out (assuming
you can get around problem #1), and if it doesn't fix it, then open a bug
report, so that it will at some point (because you can't use Hotmail with
Outlook in some situations (like if you're behind a proxy), I think Mark is
the only one of the add-in developers that has a Hotmail account to test
with).

> It does not appear to filter messages from Hotmail by itself.
> Tried background filtering, but does not work either. If you
> explicitly ask for filter through toolbar it works fine.

The log files should have clues about what is going wrong here.  This might
also be something that the latest version fixes, although I'm less sure
about this one.

> Is there a way to use SpamBayes on Hotmail without using
> Outlook? I will tray to experiment with diferent POP and IMAP
> to Hotmail gateways...

If you can get the Hotmail mail via POP3 or IMAP, then you can certainly use
sb_server or sb_imapfilter instead of the plug-in (with Outlook or any other
mail client).

=Tony Meyer

---