[Spambayes] Spambayes Plugin for Evolution

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Feb 16 18:47:08 EST 2004

> I absolutely LOVE your Spambayes plugin for Outlook.  Works
> great for when I'm using my Windows machine.  I was just
> curious if there's been any thought about creating a similar
> plugin for Evolution?

It's been requested a few times, but AFAIK no-one has actually started work
on one.

> I've seen alot of posts in numerous Linux forums about people
> looking for this kind of functionality in order to break
> completely from Windows and thought it wouldn't be too much
> of a stretch for you.

First off, please feel free to write one yourself!  The source is all there,
waiting for someone to do it...<wink>.

I think that there are two main reasons why there isn't one at the moment,
and why the current developers are unlikely to create one:

 1. AFAIK, none of the developers use Evolution.  No itch, no scratching.
(I would maybe use it, if there was a zero-cost way for me to use it with
Exchange, otherwise my zero-cost* Outlook solution suits me better).

 2. Using sb_server works pretty well.  You get the same results, and all
you miss out on is a few buttons on a toolbar, plus you get a nice web
interface.  If you want drag-and-drop training, you could try the
sb_pop3dnd.py script, which offers this (it's still quite alpha, though).

=Tony Meyer

* Not because I'm ripping Microsoft off, but because other people are paying
for me.

---