[Spambayes] Re: [spambayes-dev] A Question about SpamBayes

papaDoc papaDoc at videotron.ca
Thu Feb 19 11:26:23 EST 2004

Hi Joachim,

>first of all, SpamBayes is GREAT!!!

Thanks

>However, I am missing one tiny little feature, which you are addressing
>under 4.3 and 6.5 in your FAQ section: Return/bounce/forward spam back to
>the sender.
>
>In FAQ 4.3 it sounds like that this is somehow possible. But, I have no clue
>what are you talking about in there...

The FAQ 4.3 and 6.5 don't talk about the same things.

FAQ 4.3 try to say that: You can set up spambayes such that when you
send message to the proxy "yourself" with a given email address, it will
train this mail as ham or spam depending on the given address.

>By the way, I am running the Outlook (2000) plugin under Windows 200 Pro -
>no Exchange server. So is it possible now or not?

For now no and  I don't think it will be implemented  (See FAQ 6.5)

>In FAQ 6.5 it is stated that I can't bounce spam back to the sender since
>most sender addresses are fake anyway. I am in full agreement with you on
>that and go along with this statement totally.

Good ...... ;-)

>However, there are always
>messages that get filtered out by SpamBayes that are not spam and are
>legitimate. Therefore, I am always browsing over the Junk mail folder before
>deleting all the spam - making sure I am not deleting an important message.
>Now, if I could autoreply to all messages in the Junk E-Mail folder and
>attach a short message to it, at least the non-spam senders would be
>notified automatically that their email was considered spam and has not been
>read but deleted. This way they could try to resend or rephrase. The return
>address from non-spammers should be a good one

I think you can do this in your email program ?

>and the autoreplies to
>spammers with fake return addresses end up in limbo.

This is not always true. If the spammer used my email address as the
return address then I will receive and
email from you and if (a bif IF) spambayes becomes very popular I could
received lots of email  because of that.
Just talk to someone who had their email address as the "From" in a spam
messages. They will have good stories......

>Do you think this makes any sense

This was interesting but .....

>and are you considering implementing
>something like that into SpamBayes?

I won't do it but I did not code much of Spambayes   ;-(

Remi

--
/"\
\ /