[Spambayes] Problem with POP3 Proxy

bhecht at sbcglobal.net bhecht at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 20 11:51:09 EST 2004

I am using Outlook Express, which is functioning fine, and Windows XP.  It's
just that SpamBayes doesn't seem to be doing anything - not seeing or doing
anything with the mail. Per your suggestion, I opened a command prompt
window and typed in a command, and got a response, typed in the second
command, and then got no response:

telnet localhost 110
+OK POP3 server ready
telnet pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com 110

then there is no response. Nothing echos back after this.  However if I open
a new command window and start with your second command, then  I get a
different response:

telnet pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com 110
+OK hello from popgate<2.23.15>

if I type additional words after this,  "commands" after this, it gives an
error message:

telnet localhost 110
-ERR popgate unknown command
help
-ERR popgate unknown command

In the dialog box I attached, the account name was not shown in full due to
the window being smaller than the name.  Here is the whole string:
bhecht at sbcglobal.net/pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
I don't know why it doesn't show a password, or at least some dots
indicating that it is hiding the password.  The mail is certainly working -
I'm using it. I believe that the my password is in place and working.  I
suppose it's conceivable that my mail is not password protected. All I know
is that I have to enter my password when I start Outlook Express, in a
dialog box that says:

Logon - bhecht at sbcglobal.net
Server: localhost
User Address:  bhecht at sbcglobal.net/pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
Password:

Thanks for your help - much appreciated!
- Bill