[Spambayes] Problem with POP3 Proxy

papaDoc papaDoc at videotron.ca
Fri Feb 20 12:49:17 EST 2004

Hi, Bill,

>I am using Outlook Express, which is functioning fine, and Windows XP.  It's
>just that SpamBayes doesn't seem to be doing anything - not seeing or doing
>anything with the mail. Per your suggestion, I opened a command prompt
>window and typed in a command, and got a response, typed in the second
>command, and then got no response:
>
>telnet localhost 110
>+OK POP3 server ready
>telnet pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com 110
>
>then there is no response.
>
>Nothing echos back after this.

I'm confused. ;-(
I'm not confused anymore after reading the mail 50 times ..... hehe...
(I'm a little bit slow today)

If I understand correctly
You open a command prompt window  and typed :
"telnet localhost 110"
then a message appeared on the screen (+OK POP3 server ready)
This indicate that Spambayes is responding (or forwarding the request to
the real POP server)
Then you typed
"telnet pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com 110"
Since this is not a POP command maybe this is a correct behavior to have
no answer.

AS far as I can see Spambayes is working
In the web interface of the sb_server.py
Did you configure to add "clues" in the header.
Section "Header Options" of the configuration page

This must be done since OE can't see the Header Spambayes is adding. The
clue that tells you if the
mail is spam or ham should/must be in the subject line.
So you can try this or

Install another email program (Ex. mozilla, thunderbird) and retrieve
one email and look at the complete header
(View->Header->All) in mozilla.
If you can see the header
Then your mail is filtered by Spambayes.
Scrap OE and use something else.

If you still want to use OE I can't help you more than what I did  since
I'm not using it and I don't know how it
works.

>However if I open
>a new command window and start with your second command, then  I get a
>different response:
>telnet pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com 110
>
>+OK hello from popgate<2.23.15>
>
>if I type additional words after this,  "commands" after this, it gives an
>error message:
>
>telnet localhost 110
>-ERR popgate unknown command
>help
>-ERR popgate unknown command

This is good and expected since your talking directly to the pop server
on port 110.

Remi

--
/"\