[Spambayes] SpamBayes a wonderful product

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Feb 25 01:19:03 EST 2004

> At what point does the program recognize an e-mail
> as one which I consider Spam and process it as such?

Well, what happens is this (assuming this is the Outlook plug-in):

 1. Mail arrives, and Outlook deals with it.
 2. At some point, Outlook decides to tell SpamBayes about it.
 3. SpamBayes classifies the message, stores the spam score, and does any
necessary filtering.

However, it sounds like you mean "when does SpamBayes train mail".

 1. If you manually train a folder via the "Training" tab of the Manager
dialog, or in the Comfit Wizard.
 2. If you have incremental training turned on ("Training" tab, again), then
whenever mail is moved into the spam folder, or a folder that is being
watched for new mail.
 3. If you click the "Delete as spam" or "Recover from spam" buttons.

Nothing happens when/if you move mail from your spam "Junk Mail" folder to
the Deleted Items folder.

> I think this applies to the suspect mail box as well.
> I assume if it is moved to a wanted box it is processed
> as non Junk mail.  If it is moved to the Junk Mail it
> is moved to the Junk Mail box.

It depends <wink>.  If you have incremental training turned on, and you move
a message from the unsure/suspect folder to a folder that is being watched
(like the Inbox), then it is trained as ham (good).  Likewise, if you move
it from the unsure/suspect folder to the spam "Junk Mail" folder,then it is
trained as spam (junk).  If you don't have incremental training turned on,
then it's only trained if you use the "Delete as spam"/"Recover from spam"
buttons, and *not* if you move it by dragging and dropping, or with
Outlook's "move" command.

Note that once mail has been trained, it doesn't matter if you have it
around any more (unless you want to retrain later).  So all the mail in the
"Junk mail" folder can be deleted, if you want, and it won't effect your
training at all.

=Tony Meyer

---