[Spambayes] Upgrade from Source install to Binary install for Win32

kurt at campbellsci.com kurt at campbellsci.com
Wed Feb 25 20:40:57 EST 2004

Upgrade from Source install to Binary install for Win32.

My old source: 1.0a7
My new binary: 1.0a9
My Python Version:2.3
My Win32all: 163
My Win32 O/S: Windows 2000 Pro
Information written up and provided by: Kurt Payne

Advanced instructions:

1. Uninstall old SpamBayes Service.
	To do this run: pop3proxy_service.py remove
2. Reboot
3. Uninstall Win32all if so desired
4. Uninstall Python if so desired
5. Reboot (recommended only if Python and Win32all was uninstalled)
6. Install new binary 1.0a9
7. The cache directory has changed:
From: C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application
Data\SpamBayes\Proxy
To: C:\Documents and Settings\{userdir}\Application
Data\SpamBayes\Proxy
You are done.

Detailed instructions:

1. Uninstall old SpamBayes Service.
To do this Start: Pythonwin click on the run button in the toolbar
This will bring up a popup window Run Script. Type in for the 'Script
File': C:\Python23\Scripts\pop3proxy_service.py
Type in for the 'Arguments':
remove
Then click OK
At the bottom of the window it will display
Script 'C:\Python23\Scripts\pop3proxy_service.py' returned exit code
0
This means it is done.

2. Restart your computer (as the service has been marked for removal
but hasn't been done yet)

3. If you are not using Python for any other programs you can
uninstall it although it will not harm your computer to leave it
installed. The new Binary does not require it to run.
To uninstall both Win32all and Python programs:
Go to your system Control Panel click on Add/Remove Programs both
those programs will appear in this list click on 'Python 2.3 combined
Win32 extensions' then click Change/Remove.
As for me this brought up an error 'Cannot find install.log'
I reinstalled the Win32all program then uninstalled it.
Then click on 'Python 2.3' then click Change/Remove.
Again this brought up an error 'Cannot find install.log'
I reinstalled the Python 2.3 program then uninstalled it.

4. If you have uninstall both Win32all and Python programs. Restart
your computer now otherwise skip this step.

5. At this point you can install the Binary and it should work.
I found that the cache directory was in a different area between the
old and new versions.
My old directory was:
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application
Data\SpamBayes\Proxy
And the new directory is:
C:\Documents and Settings\{userdir}\Application Data\SpamBayes\Proxy
I just copied in Windows Explorer the directory SpamBayes from the
old area to the new area.
That brought over all my old settings and configuration it had all
the old trained information saved.
You are done.