[Spambayes] SpamBayes old and new

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jan 7 00:31:24 EST 2004

> Since then, my Win2K machine has died, and I have installed
> the latest SpamBayes versions on 2-3 new WinXP systems, one
> using Home, and 2 using Pro.  With the newer versions of
> SpamBayes (or maybe it's due to Win XP), no matter what I do,
> most spam ends up in my Inbox.

You say "most", not "all", so I assume that some spam, at least, is being
correctly filtered?  (In other words, the problem isn't that the program
isn't working, it's that the results aren't satisfactory.)  If that's not
the case, let us know, and we can try and figure out what the problem is
(the log files help, a lot).

Basically SpamBayes works as well as you train it.  How has the training
you've done on the newer machines differed from the old?  Do you have a
roughly even balance of ham and spam training data?  How many ham and spam
messages have you trained?  If you look at the spam clues for false
negatives, can you see *why* they have been classified as ham?