[Spambayes] Spam Baes Question

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Wed Jan 7 17:02:11 EST 2004

[Bob Coe]
> Yes, even if it's replaced with keeping track by name. I think the
> Outlook plugin should behave just the way Outlook does; otherwise it
> causes more confusion than it eliminates. A high percentage of the
> difficulties I encounter with third-party software arise from the
> developers' failure to follow Windows' user interface paradigm,
> either because they were too lazy (or didn't understand it very well)
> or because they thought they had a better idea. In some cases, maybe
> they did have a better idea, but adherence to known standards is
> usually of more value to the user.

A problem is that there doesn't appear to be a standard here -- all we know
about how Outlook behaves in these cases was obtained by trial and error,
and if it is indeed a pile of undocumented implementation accidents, there's
no reason to expect Outlook will continue to behave the same way across
patches either.  In this example, if a folder is moved around within a
single store, Outlook appears to keep track of it; but if it's dragged to a
different store, Outlook appears to lose track of it entirely -- at least
under the versions of Outlook people have reported on so far.

> The One Good Thing Bill Gates has done for the industry is to provide
> a set of interface standards that users can learn to recognize, but its
> value depends on developers actually following it.

Well, what else in Windows works in this peculiar way?  I don't know of
anything, although the "loses track of it entirely" *part* of Outlook's
behavior here is common, in and out of MS apps, after moving or renaming an
object.