[Spambayes] Bounceback option

Lanny Trager ltrag at optonline.net
Mon Jan 12 17:55:51 EST 2004

On Monday 12 January 2004 17:36, Elizabeth Young wrote:
> You have the BEST spamblocker out there! I have compared you to Norton
> and McAfee and yours works better.
>
> An option that you do not support is the ability to bounce back spam so
> that it looks as if the email address is invalid. Is that in the works?
>
> Thanks,
> Elizabeth Young
> youngeliz at cox.net
>
> Current version .81
> Operating System Windows XP
> Microsoft Outlook XP user

Elizabeth,

This list has a strong tradition of gentleness so I will do my best to gently
respond.

A quick search of the list would have given you your answer.  A cluefull gulp
of netiquette would have informed you that it is polite to hang around a list
for a while and get the general flavor before posting.  Since your suggestion
is posted every couple of weeks you would now already have your answer.

Elizabeth, one thing you should know about spammers, they always lie.  They
even lie with respect to their return address, so bouncing spam will just
victimize some poor soul whose e-mail address has been chosen at random in
place of the spammer's.  Or even worse, it may be a joe job, in which case
the return address is not random but is the address of some other poor soul
that the spammer would like to see collect the blame and bad karma points for
spamming.

Upon reading my response, I realize that it is not quite as gentle as I
intended it to be, for that I apologize to you and to the list, although it
does contain the answer to your question.

Lanny

--
/"\
\ /