[Spambayes] Outlook Express question

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Mon Jan 12 21:52:02 EST 2004

At 01:07 PM 1/13/2004 +1300, Tony Meyer wrote:
>Try using the default ports of 110 and 25 to proxy on, rather than 8890 (and
>?), unless you are already using those for something.  This way the setup is
>very simple, because you don't have to fiddle around with ports at all.

I think Tony knows more about Spambayes than I do, but I had trouble using
the same ports to go in on as to come out on, i.e. I couldn't use 110 and
25, because I'm using Norton Anti-virus. Changing to 3110 and 3025 fixed it
immediately.

HOWEVER, you CAN use those ports (110 and 25) for testing, because even if
you're configured the exact same way I am, the worst that will happen, once
you get it right, is that Norton will trigger twice on each outbound message.

So do it, for testing.

>Do you definitely have the values entered correctly?  In the "Remote
>Servers" box, you should have something like "pop.example.com", and in the
>"SpamBayes Ports" box, you should have something like "110" (or "8890", if
>you really need to).

That's what I was going to say next. Does no good to configure OE for some
new port if the proxy isn't listen there. But there's two ports-- POP3 and
SMTP-- and you only mention one. I suggest you add 3000 to the default port
numbers, or 4000, or some round number, so you can keep track of them. E.g.
use ports 4110 and 4025.

I doubt it they are, but you could even check to see if the ports are being
used by some other process. Open a command prompt and type netstat -a and
hit enter. Look for a tcp port on your machine in the listening state. If
that port is in use, and you didn't use it, pick a different one.

"In Mexico we have a word for sushi: Bait."  -- Jose Simon
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com (internet)  remove "nospam." N9QQB (ham)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)  WEB ADDRESS http//www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43 7' 17.2" N, by 88¸ 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, Cisco Certified CCNA