[Spambayes] some spam is immune to SpamBayes

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 22:35:07 EST 2004

[Betty Anne Morss]
> I have the SpamBayes Outlook addon, version 0.81, running on Windows
> XP.  In general it does a fantastic job, but I sometimes receive
> messages that are completely immune to SpamBayes.  Clicking "delete
> as spam" returns nothing.  Clicking "show spam clues for current
> message" returns nothing.  Two examples of immune messages are
> attached.

It *sounds* like these messages are so non-standardly formed that they don't
meet the minimal requirements for SpamBayes to be able to parse them.
Sending us what Outlook thinks the messages are doesn't really do any good,
alas, because Outlook destroys the original structure of the email.

What would help instead is to look in your SpamBayes log file.  When
SpamBayes can't parse a message at all, it will leave some evidence in your
log file that may explain why it failed to parse the message.  Instructions
for finding your log file can be gotten from:

    SpamBayes -> Help -> Troubleshooting Guide ->
        then search for "attach the log file" and click on it
        when you find it

> I hope I do not abuse this list by sending this inquiry.

Nope, not at all.  All questions are welcome here!  Any your question is
better than most <wink>.