[Spambayes] bug? Or stupid user?

Bradley Richards bradley at kri.ch
Sun Jan 18 05:57:41 EST 2004

Hi folks,

I've been trying out your alpha-7 release, hoping to find a good anti-Spam
solution for our small company. But I've been having some troubles, which
I'll describe below. If this looks like a bug to you, let me know what
further information I can provide.

First: I'm running SpamBayes as a proxy on our firewall, which is an NT4
(sp6a) machine. SpamBayes is running under Python version 2.3 using the
command "sb_server.pyc -b".

Problems began after training on about 500 messages. The database apparently
became corrupted, and I received the message

30982, DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery -- fatal region
error detected; run recovery

I finally found a utility "db_recover.exe", compiled for Windows. It ran,
but didn't say what (if anything) it accomplished. In any case, it did not
fix the problem.

So I removed the database, and let SpamBayes create a new one. I left the
existing messages in the subdirectory caches (ham, spam, unsure). SpamBayes
worked on today's messages, but when I tried to go to the review messages
page for yesterday (via the web-interface), I received the message:

error: uncaptured python exception, closing channel
<spambayes.Dibbler._HTTPHandler connected at 0x12c8da0>
(socket.error:(10053, 'Software caused connection abort')
[C:\PYTHON23\lib\asynchat.py|initiate_send|218] [C:\PYTHON23\lib\asyncore.
py|send|334])

This is gibberish to me, but perhaps it means something to you...

In any case, I then deleted both the database and all messages in the cache.
SpamBayes is presently working correctly.

I suspect that some aspect of a message confused SpamBayes and led both to
the damaged database and to the crash described above. To this end:

- it would seem important to provide clear instructions how to repair the
database, if/when it becomes damaged. Although db_recover "seemed" to run,
it provided no meaningful feedback, even in verbose mode. It refused to take
a database name as an argument, and I don't actually think it did anything.

- if this problem arises again, I would be happy to provide you with further
information. Can you tell me what would be useful to you? I am a programmer,
but I do not know Python...

Cheers,

Brad
Dr. Bradley Richards