[Spambayes] SpamBayes Old and New (part deux)

Dennis Allen dwallen at missinglink.com
Tue Jan 20 03:38:38 EST 2004

Tony,

1) Yes, some Spam is being filtered.  Some is also being routed to the
"Suspected" folder.  Unlike the original version I used on my Win2K machine
shortly after the Info-World article, most spam ends up in my in-box these
days.

2)Regarding how you train it: The version I first used that worked so well,
worked pretty much with the defaults.  In fact, it worked so darn well that
I was afraid to change anything from the defaults.  This is no longer the
case with the current version, or on WInXP, or my current configuration.

3)My inbox currently holds 75 valid emails (many not read) and about 7,000
spams (nearly all not read.)  Since I posted the original email in this
list, I deleted about 5K spams, so the raining originally occurred on about
60 good and 10K bad.  I have tried training manually, and have also set it
to "I haven't configured..." in the hopes that it would learn faster.  In
other words, I go back and forth, with not much luck either way.  It is not
clear to me which way I should leave it.    It did not seem to matter
before.

4) My false negatives' scores are quite low.  My most recent undetected spam
shows up as "0.214000...".  My most recent "Nigerian scam" spam scores "Spam
Score: 0% (3.88578e-016)" according to SpamBayes.

----

Message: 7