[Spambayes] delegate access subtelty

David Bracewell dbracewell at caelo.com
Wed Jan 21 19:53:14 EST 2004

If you are given delegate access on someone's exchange account, so you have the Exchange box listed in the Outlook pane, whenever a suspect email comes into THAT box, it is moved into the "Junk Suspects" folder of YOUR maibox. That is, Spambayes seems to act on all message stores in the Outlook folder pane.

As far as delegated mailboxes are concerned, this may be good behaviour if, for instance, you are an exectuve secretary who wishes to winnow out the email of your boss.

If, however, you wish to send out on behalf of the delegated mailbox, but do not wish to manipulate the delegated mailbox's Inbox it can be a bit dangerous. In my case, I have an individual mailbox, but also have the Support person's mailbox in my Outlook folder pane. I think what happens is that Spambayes takes suspects from HIS box and puts them in my Junk Suspects folder in my Exchange Mailbox. If, as is sometimes the case, the email is not Spam, I need to restore it to his Mailboxes Inbox. This is a layer I just don't need. Is there some way of limiting Spambayes to particular message stores?

Your product is great, by the way.

David Bracewell
Caelo Software.