[Spambayes] After running setup.py my newsgroups have no newmessages nor any messages.

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sat Jan 24 21:08:38 EST 2004

> I download "spambayes-1.0a7.zip", extracted the files
> and doubled clicked setup.py.

This won't do anything at all.  A good start (hopefully) is the README.txt
file that's in that archive.  It has instructions about how to install
SpamBayes.  Double-clicking setup.py won't do anything, because you have to
pass "install" to it as a command line argument.

Note, however, that since you're using Outlook, what you probably want is
the binary installer for the Outlook plug-in - not the SpamBayes source
archive that you downloaded.  If you download this, and double-click it,
you'll find yourself looking at a pretty regular Windows installer, and all
should be well from there.

> Can't say that I saw anything happen but just
> afterwards I went to check my newsgroups.

Note also that SpamBayes does not do any newsgroup filtering, unless you
receive them via POP3.

> After loading was complete NO messages appeared at all.

Since you didn't actually install anything, it's certainly not anything that
SpamBayes did <wink>.  Did you make any other changes?

> Newsgroup are read using Outlook Express only.

If you want to use SpamBayes with Outlook Express, then you need to use
sb_server, as explained in the readme (and FAQ and website).  However,
again, this isn't going to do anything for newsgroups.

> In you instructions you say, 'Note that if you simply want to
> disable the plug-in for a while, you can do this by unticking
> the "Enable SpamBayes" box on the front page of the "Manager"
> dialog.'.  I can not find the "Manager" dialog box in Outlook.

That's because you haven't installed the Outlook plug-in.  You can use the
"addin.py" file in the source archive to do this if you really want to, but
I would highly recommend that you use the binary installer instead.

=Tony Meyer

---