URGENT: Re: [Spambayes] Important information for you. Read it immediately !

Lanny Trager ltrag at optonline.net
Sun Jan 25 02:39:44 EST 2004

On Saturday 24 January 2004 21:41, Tim Peters wrote:
> >> <FONT color=red size=15><CENTER>Hi !</CENTER></FONT><BR>
> >> Here is my photo, that you asked for yesterday.<BR><iframe
> >> src=domain_marker WIDTH=1 HEIGHT=1></iframe>
>
> [ltrag at optonline.net]
>
> > This is a Trojan DO NOT OPEN!
>
> Of course people should never open any attachment they're not expecting.

Five people who have this list's posting address have already done so.

> This isn't a moderated mailing list, so sometimes crap like that will
> appear on it.

Naturally.

>  Don't be an idiot, and you'll be fine <wink>.

I'm not sure what in my post made you think that I'm an idiot.  I'm pretty
sure I'm on topic.  I posted information about a Trojan currently spreading
in the wild through e-mail, including fairly specific details about what it
does to what parts of a system.  Enough details to disinfect a system should
the need arise.

The Dumaru.J worm spreads itself via unsolicited, bulk, e-mail, that fits my
definition of spam, spambayes filters spam, five people who have this lists
posting address in their address books and most likely are subscribers have
received and been infected by the Dumaru.J worm, surely you're not calling
them idiots.

I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about the five people who have already
opened this file and gotten infected.  I'm worried about the many people who
may receive this file and in a inattentive, thoughtless, moment, not having
been warned, open it.  I'm worried about people who choose ignorance over
education.

I'd rather send a warning, than assume that everyone already knows.  The fact
that infected emails have reached this list I think is proof that everyone
does not know.