[Spambayes] spam forwarded through the list

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 26 16:41:17 EST 2004

> maybe you didn't note it because you're running spambayes on
> your PC, but in the last week several spam messages have been
> forwarded through the list. This is not a good presentation for
> spambayes ;) Maybe the filters on python.org should be
> sharpened. I'm running Mailman+spambayes integration since
> last April, and I'm very happy with it.

I'm pretty sure that this list also does that (although I don't know if
there's any ongoing training).  From memory, the recent virus messages
scored a fairly low 0.2 (all unsure messages are let through).  [There's a
header that you can look at that gives you the score and the database it's
running off].

One of the biggest problems with filtering this list is that people can
quite validly post entire spam messages ("why did this score 0.1?" type
things).  IIRC, one false-positive that Tim never managed to eliminate in
his testing was a message with a single line and then a quoted spam.  I
don't think we're likely to get there, either (if the message is from a
regular, like a developer, then the headers might help, but that's not
guaranteed).

=Tony Meyer

---