[Spambayes] help

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jan 27 19:37:02 EST 2004

> I am trying to download Spambayes and have
> Outlook Express so have downloaded the components
> you mention

Just to check, have you installed Python?

> but now I am at the Source Release
> paragraph on your site where it says:
> Once you've downloaded and unpacked the source
> archive, do the regular set-up.py build;
> set-up.py install dance, then: ...
> this doesn't mean anything to me.  What do I
> do with the zip files?  I cannot see an exe file.
> How do I unpack the source archive?

To unpack the source archive you need to unzip it with a program like
WinZip.  This will turn it into a directory of files (but still no .exe).
Then you need to open a command/dos prompt (the Start menu should have this
somewhere), change to the directory that you expanded it to, and then type
"c:\python23\python.exe setup.py install".  That'll get you past the "dance"
stage.

To change to the directory that you installed into, you need to:
 1. Enter the name of the drive that you installed it into (e.g. "D:").  If
you only have one, then don't worry about this.
 2. Type "cd directory_name", where directory name is the full name of the
directory you expanded it to - it's easiest to just put it in C:\ and then
you can just do "cd c:\spambayes", but if you put it on the Desktop with
Windows XP, for example, you'd use 'cd "C:\Documents and
Settings\[username]\Desktop"'.

If this sounds too complicated, then there is an experimental installer that
will take care of all of this for you.  It hasn't been officially released
yet, so it might not work (although it shouldn't be able to do any harm),
but it might be worth a try.

<http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/spambayes/>

=Tony Meyer

---