[Spambayes] Filtered items in Outlook are automatically marked asread

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:49:30 EST 2004

Powell & Hinkle Engineering wrote:
> When I receive any new mail with Microsoft Outlook it puts the mail
> in my inbox by defauld, but then automatically forwardes it to a
> public folder that can be seen by our entire network. It is necessary
> for for me to keep these files marked as unread to keep track of
> these new messages, which is how it was set up.  But when the
> messages are forwarded to this folder the spam bayes program (binary
> version .81) filters them, and takes away their unread status. I've
> tried to set Spam Bays to scan the new messages when they are still
> in my inbox but then they don't get forwarded to my public folder on
> the network (which is even more important).  How do I set Spam Bays,
> or Microsofs Outlook, to keep these files as unread, in my public
> folder, and filtered all at the same time, or is this impossible?

How is the mail forwarded to the public folder?  Is this done with an
Outlook rule?  Are you wanting SpamBayes to filter only the public
folder and not your inbox, filter only your inbox, or filter both?

I'll assume that you are using an Outlook rule and that you would prefer
to filter the spam once it reaches the public folder.  The first thing I
would do is try enabling the background filtering option on the Advanced
tab in SpamBayes Manager.  This will allow the Outlook rules to process
before SpamBayes tries to filter the messages.  The default times should
be fine for most cases, but if SpamBayes still seems to be getting to
the messages first then you can try increasing the start delay.

The second step is to configure SpamBayes to filter messages in the
public folder and not in your Inbox.  Finally, make sure on the
Filtering tab that the "Mark spam as read" and "Mark possible spam as
read" checkboxes are turned off.

That's my best guess without knowing all the details of your actual
Outlook setup and what you are trying to accomplish.  Hopefully it will
give you enough information to go on to figure out how to make it work
the way you want.  If not, please post back to the list with more
details about your environment and try to include a copy of your
logfiles so that we can determine when SpamBayes is getting ahold of the
messages and what it is doing with them.  SpamBayes / Help /
Troubleshooting Guide includes information on how to find the logfiles.

--
Kenny Pitt