[Spambayes] stupid question

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jul 8 02:05:39 CEST 2004

> Whether or not these tokens have any effect on the spam score
> will depend on whether you have trained any messages that
> contain them.  At the top of the "show spam clues" you'll see
> the "Significant Tokens", which are the tokens that actually
> contributed to the score given to the message.

One point in addition to what Kenny said:

Unless AVG is only checking a subset of your mail, *every* message will have
this cruft on it (unless you turn it off, or unless it's a virus).  So
(assuming a balanced corpus) the clues will stay easily within the 0.4-0.6
range where they are ignored, so they'll have no effect at all (other than a
very small increase in database size).

An "AVG has found a virus" message (I've never seen one of these, but I
suppose they get added, too), would presumably never appear on good mail,
and so quickly end up as strong spam clues, if you train on them.

=Tony Meyer

---