[Spambayes] Newbie outlook/spambayes/multiple folder question

Coe, Bob rcoe at CambridgeMA.GOV
Thu Jul 8 14:23:48 CEST 2004

A brief elaboration of Kenny's last point:
Putting the spam folder in a .pst file can reduce the amount of synchronization between the user's PC and the Exchange server, which in some cases might spare you from copying spam back to the server. But notice that it has the side effect that items deleted from the spam folder will go to the .pst file's "Deleted Items" folder, not to the one on the Exchange server. Only one "Deleted Items" folder is automatically cleared when you leave Outlook, and it's normally the one on the server. So you may have to manually clear the one in the .pst file from time to time.

Another suggestion: If you get a lot of spam through your POP3 accounts, try to download their incoming messages when you're NOT on-line to the Exchange server. They'll get cached locally, and the spam will be deleted without the Exchange server ever seeing it. But if you're on-line when you check your POP3 mail, the incoming messages will be copied to the Exchange server before Spambayes sees them. Then if you didn't follow Kenny's advice and set up a local spam folder, the spam will be copied to the server again! (I think. I doubt that Outlook/Exchange is smart enough to notice that the process of moving spam to the spam folder locally can be replicated remotely, but I admit that I can't prove it.)

I don't think any of this is a great mystery to an experienced Exchange user. I mention it only because there's been some evidence that a large segment of the Spambayes user community isn't very experienced with Exchange.

Bob

MIS Department, City of Cambridge
831 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge MA 02139  ·  617-349-4217  ·  fax 617-349-6165