[SPAM] RE: [SPAM] RE: [Spambayes] Configuration of multiple email addresses

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 12 22:46:47 CEST 2004

Chuck Cummins wrote:
> How do I identify "localhost" in my Incoming mail address line?
> I've listed all incoming addresses, separated by commas, as
> prescribed.
> In assigning ports, is it ok to identif 8110,8111,8112,8113, for the
> 4 email accounts we're using?

It's not entirely clear to me what parts of the configuration you've filled
out correctly and what parts you're still missing.  I'll try to explain in
as much detail as I can where all the configuration information goes, and
hopefully you can then figure out how to apply that to your setup.

The first thing you need to do is configure SpamBayes correctly via the Web
interface, so select Configure from the SpamBayes tray icon.  The first box
at the top of the page is labeled "POP3 Proxy Options" and this is where you
will set up all of the POP3 mail servers that you access.  In the "Remote
Servers" box, you need to provide a comma-separated list of the different
servers that you receive mail from.  It will contain something like
"mail.server1.com,mail.server2.com".  If you have several accounts that
receive mail from the same mail server then you only need to list that
server once.

In the "SpamBayes Ports" box, you need to provide a comma-separated list of
ports that SpamBayes will use to represent the different servers you listed
in "Remote Servers".  There should be one port in this list for each server.
Following my earlier example you would enter "8110,8111".  SpamBayes would
then use port 8110 to represent server mail.server1.com and port 8111 to
represent mail.server2.com.  If you actually have 4 separate servers in
"Remote Servers" for your 4 email accounts then you would enter
"8110,8111,8112,8113".

After you save your configuration changes, SpamBayes is all set to process
your mail.  Now you need to configure your mail client to talk to SpamBayes.
You appear to be using Outlook Express, so I'll describe the settings based
on that.  Go to Tools / Accounts, and then open up the properties for your
first mail account.  On the Servers tab, set the "Incoming mail (POP3)"
server to localhost (but don't forget what the original server was).  Now
you need to switch to the Advanced tab to configure the port numbers.  Again
using my example servers from the SpamBayes configuration, if the account
was originally set to get mail from mail.server1.com then you change the
"Incoming mail (POP3)" port to 8110.  If the account was set to get mail
from mail.server2.com then you would change the port to 8111.

When you were configuring the SpamBayes options, you may have noticed
another section for "SMTP Proxy Options".  It is probably best to ignore
this section.  Some people assume that the SMTP Proxy provides some form of
filtering at the SMTP level, but it is actually just a different way of
training misclassified messages.  If you are going to use the Web interface
for training then you don't need the SMTP Proxy at all, and it only
complicates the setup.

Once you get everything configured so that your mail is processed through
SpamBayes, there are still some additional things you will need to set up
before Outlook Express will remove spam from your Inbox.  This link is for
an archived message that describes how to set up your rules in Outlook
Express:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/spambayes/2004-March/011652.html

You might also take a look at question 2.1 in the FAQ:

http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html#does-spambayes-work-with-outlook-e
xpress

If you have any further questions then reply back and please copy the
spambayes mailing list on your reply.  Try to be as explicit as possible
about what settings you have changed, what values you have set for them, and
what isn't working correctly.

--
Kenny Pitt