[Spambayes] More on 'Spammer Attempts to CircumventBayesianFilter'

Richard B Barger ABC APR Rich at RBarger.com
Mon Jul 19 20:48:57 CEST 2004

What a terrific explanation, Kenny!

As I mentioned to Tony, you folks think of everything!

And yes, you probably have analyzed my situation correctly, except for one
thing:

Because of my huge volume of email, I certainly do not train on everything.  I
only train on mistakes and some of the unsures.  (If I get 11 identical unsures
in a row, I certainly don't train on all of them.  And, from earlier help in
this discussion group, I learned that SpamBayes was classifying messages sent to
my several accounts differently; now that I know this, I selectively train,
based on the addressee, to "even things out.")

One more thought:  It would intuitively seem that a longer, flowing text
narrative from a spammer would be slightly more likely to include neutral and
ham words than spam words.  I won't attempt to do math on this, and there are
probably lots of theoretical and practical reasons why I'm wrong, but my gut
tells me that, the longer and more coherent the narrative, the more likely it
would be to score as ham.

Very helpful, Kenny.  Thank you.

Rich Barger
Kansas City