[Spambayes] More on 'Spammer Attempts to CircumventBayesianFilter'

Richard B Barger ABC APR Rich at RBarger.com
Mon Jul 19 21:28:51 CEST 2004

Thank you, Kenny, for taking my flight of fancy seriously.  That's another good
explanation.

Demonstrating how little I know, I want to take one more stab at this.

I postulate that a long, flowing narrative will have lots of neutral words, but,
over a large enough user base -- and that is the key -- will have more of what
the mass of users considers ham-tending words than spam-tending words (even
though, in the case of particular users, the opposite doubtless would be the
case).

I'm speculating that, over the course of a large quantity of spam and a large
quantity of ham, fewer tokens show up as spam in most user's evenly trained
databases than show up as ham.  Put another way, even allowing for differences
in user preference and experience, I'm guessing that the dictionary of spam
tokens is smaller than the dictionary of ham tokens.

Actually, that somewhat smaller "dictionary" probably works both ways, but I
still theorize that the larger number of likely ham words over the universe of
users will result in longer narratives being somewhat more likely to be judged
ham.

I completely agree about the random gibberish.

Thank you again.

Rich Barger

---