[Spambayes] Training Disparity Issues

Richard B Barger ABC APR Rich at RBarger.com
Mon Jul 19 23:58:47 CEST 2004

Kenny, I can partially reproduce the problem.  However, I believe I
incorrectly described what I was observing.

Let me tell you what I think happened -- and then what leaves me, like a
SpamBayes email analysis, "unsure."

It appears that to "set" a change in the Advanced Configuration page, you have
to exit SpamBayes and start it up again.  I can reproduce the problem every
time if I start out with the installation defaults, change the two settings,
then merely save the configuration by pressing the button at the bottom of the
screen and go looking for the Score header without first recycling SpamBayes.

I usually am meticulous about re-starts and even re-booting my computer when
I'm making changes to a program I'm not familiar with.  But, in this case, I
rather thought that "saving" the configuration implemented it.

I also thought I had unloaded and reloaded SpamBayes when I made the Advanced
Configuration changes, a couple of days ago.

But maybe I hadn't.

At any rate, now I can turn the "Display score in message review" column off
and on at will, and it works perfectly every time, so long as I exit SpamBayes
and start it up again.

If that is the source of the problem, then it is merely coincidence that I
must have first shut off and re-started SpamBayes after frustratedly trying a
change to the "Headers to display in message review" box, which change, in
reality, had nothing to do with what I experienced.

And yes, confirming your observation, the extra space in that text box
disappears after a configuration save.

I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling my POP3 Proxy Version 1.0rc2, just
in case there was something about the install process that caused the
problem.  But everything worked perfectly, with no failure-to-display glitch.

What makes me unsure is this:  I cannot imagine going several days without
shutting down SpamBayes and the computer and restarting them.  I often leave
my computer on for long periods, but I've been fiddling with SpamBayes, and
surely I must have exited and restarted it several times; if not, it is the
oddest coincidence.

And I had set "Add probability (score) header" and "Display score in message
review" to Yes several days ago and left them that way.

But I apologize for giving an incorrect description; I recognize how difficult
it is to troubleshoot even correctly stated problems.  There's no need in my
further complexifying things by providing the wrong information.

Thanks for your help.

Rich Barger
Kansas City

---