[Spambayes] Confusion about Unix or Linus documentation

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jul 21 19:44:38 CEST 2004

    Aaron> In the .procmailrc file the spam is put in a file
    Aaron> $HOME/Mail/spam.  In the line that illustrates the training of
    Aaron> spambayes using: sb_mboxtrain.py the file used to train spambayes
    Aaron> is also $HOME/Mail/spam. It is confuses me that these files are
    Aaron> the same.  Is it really usefull to retrain spambayes on the files
    Aaron> it has identified as spam or should these files have different
    Aaron> names as I have done with spamassassin?

sb_mboxtrain.py tags messages it's already trained on so when it revisits
$HOME/Mail/spam at a later time it will only train on messages that have
been added since the last run.  You can run it with the -f flag to force it
to retrain on all messages.  Note however that you need to lock access to
your file since both procmail and sb_mboxtrain.py will want to write to it.

Skip