[Spambayes] How to make SpamBayes authenticate for proxy

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jul 22 02:49:38 CEST 2004

> I just upgraded to 1.0rc2 and I have the same
> problem with it as I did with 0.8:  "Check for new
> version" fails because it doesn't authenticate
> with my proxy server.  Can I fix this?

Are your Internet Control Panel settings set to manually specify a proxy, or
use an auto-configuration script?

If it's the latter, then we simply don't support this.  There's an open bug
tracker:

[ 796298 ] Outlook plugin: 0.7 Check for new version doesn't use proxy
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=61702&atid=498103&func=detail&aid=
796298>

The problem is that it's very complicated to support this (thanks,
Microsoft).  Probably explains why a fair chunk of programs don't support
it, although Firefox does, so presumably there's code there that could be
examined (thanks, open source).

If it's the former, then it's meant to work.  I don't recall how it figures
the username & password to use (it does whatever Python does) - perhaps it's
the windows username & password?  (Are they not the same, maybe?).

If it is the former, and doesn't work, then you can try this:

In your data directory you should have a "default_bayes_customize.ini" file
(if not, create one).  In it, add the following lines to the end (without
the leading whitespace):

    [globals]
    proxy_server:this.is.the.address.of.your.proxy:port
    proxy_username:your_username
    proxy_password:your_password

(Substituting the appropriate values, obviously).  Do this with Outlook
closed, and then reopen Outlook, and see if that fixes it.

=Tony Meyer

---