[Spambayes] Call for help

R.C. Resink RCResink at RCResink.nl
Sat Jul 31 15:29:49 CEST 2004

Dear spam fighters,

Sorry to bother you this way, but pushing the send-button in the help section of the configure htm, did not tell whether a mail was sent to you or not.

I am using SpamBayes POP3 Proxy Version 1.0rc2 (June 2004) (binary), with version 2.3.3 (#51, Feb 13 2004, 14:39:56) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] of Python; my operating system is Windows 5.1.2600.2 (Service Pack 1).  I have trained 0 ham and 0 spam.

The problem I am having is that there are no messages to view or for training, allthough I received quite a few emails, many of which spam. I followed all steps in your readme html after installing 3 days ago. I had a difficult time with the 'Using the Service' chapter, having to dig DOS out of ancient memory and to understand the instructions trying to translate menus to my language, 'Administrative tools' is translated to 'System Tools' in Dutch. An area that almost nobody uses I would think. Also FYI I had trouble understanding what user account you meant: e-mail account? That did not work but my log-on accountname worked. I believe the next step Configuration 1. SetUp SpamBayes worked. But I could not work out point 2. SetUp your mail client. I cannot find anything about 'mail client' or 'local host' options. Could that be the reasons that my e-mails are not read by your program? I am above average knowledgeable in computers and software (I also program in VB and Paradox) and I could imagine that quite a few people would find it difficult to follow these steps. For example the word 'server' does not mean much to me. I think that that is another computer.

I am adding all these details to this call for help. Not at all to complain, just in case the feedback may be useful in your quest to kill spam. Also FYI, Trident Software Support drew my attention to your efforts and software trough an auto-responder.

If you can give me a hint on how to get the programme to work, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

R.C. Resink