[Spambayes] Locked range conflict

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun Jun 6 20:52:09 EDT 2004

[Bill Lantz]
>> Since I loaded Spambayes (which does a great job) my backup to external
>> hard drive gives me error message and back up of "locked range
>> conflict". Can you shed some light or what to do so I can back up. This
>> only happens on Outlook. I run win 2000 and Outlook 2000.

[Tim Peters]
> Sorry, I really have no idea what this is about. ...

Googling on "locked range conflict" suggests you're using an OEM version of
Dantz Retrospect to do backups (perhaps one bundled with an external Maxtor
drive?), and that you're not alone in getting this error when it tries to
back up a .pst file.  There's no reason to believe SpamBayes has anything to
do with this.  You should note that Outlook.exe sometimes keeps running even
when you close Outlook!  That keeps the .pst file(s) locked.  There are many
messages about that all over the web too, and Google will find them.  Before
I run backups, I always bring up Task Manager and kill Outlook.exe and
Winword.exe if they're still running (they both are from time to time, and I
can't predict under which conditions this occurs).