[Spambayes] Cannot Install Multiple Users Win XP Pro, Outlook 2003, SpamBayes 1.0rc1

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sun Jun 6 23:06:35 EDT 2004

> SpamBayes installed ok for user with Admin privileges --
> shows in COM Addins list, shows enabled, appears to run OK.
>
> Multiple attempts to install for Non-Admin "Restricted" user
> -- Installation aborts and does rollback because unable to
> write to ...\Program Files\SpamBayes\...
>
> Attempt to run outlook_addin_register.exe has no effect when
> run _by_ the non-privileged user, even if run _as_ the
> privileged user.
>
> How _do_ I install for non-privileged users?

Do you want to install it (i.e. write all the stuff that normally goes into
\Program Files\SpamBayes) or just register it?  (The former would be if it's
not already installed on the machine and the only user available is
non-Admin, the latter would be if it's already installed and you want to let
other users use it).

If it's installing, then you just need to change the path to install into to
somewhere that the user does have access to.

If it's registering, then you can register SpamBayes for all users.
Instructions for doing this can be found in the troubleshooting guide (the
online version; the local one with 1.0rc1 has a mistake).  Basically you run
the application "outlook_addin_register" (in the \Program
Files\SpamBayes\bin directory) with the parameter "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE".

=Tony Meyer

---