[Spambayes] Compatibility with Norton AntiVirus??

papaDoc papaDoc at videotron.ca
Wed Jun 9 14:48:25 EDT 2004

Todd Carmichael wrote:

>I have Norton AntiVirus installed and email scanning on.  I believe this
>inserts some kind of email proxy on to the system and seems like it is
>preventing SpamBayes from working.  If I select the menu option "Filter
>Messages..." then it successfully grabs my spam but I have to invoke it
>manually.  It seems like with Norton AntiVirus installed, it can find them
>automatically.  Anyone seen this behavior or know if there is a workaround?

This was a mail between Tony Meyer and ???
----------------------------

> I saw one user was instructed to put "pop3.norton.antivirus"
> or something like that into to the spambayes server config
> to set up a Server->Norton->SpamBayes->email client chaining...
> I know above is not exactly what I tried, but I do know
> that I tried the exact text I saw in the discussion list
> posting but this didnt work for me.

It's not working for him, either, yet   (I don't have Norton, and don't
use OE, so am answering blind, to a certain extent.  I have read that others
have successfully done this, though, so it can be done.  (If only they were
speaking up...)

Keep watching the "RE: [Spambayes] Spambayes on Outlook Express" thread -
the instructions should apply equally to you.  If I understand things
rightly now, Norton requires that it be connected to by SpamBayes, which
means that you need to chain like:

   OE <-> Norton <-> SpamBayes <-> Mail Server

So set SpamBayes to connect to the mail server, but proxy on 8110.  Leave OE
connecting to Norton (which I gather it does as soon as you enable Norton).
Then tell Norton that your mail server is localhost 8110.

Hope this help

Remi

--
/"\