[Spambayes] Problem restoring databases

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jun 24 22:36:49 EDT 2004

> Your directions state to back up the data folder (i.e. all
> files in that data folder) and just copy it back when I
> re-install outlook w/Spambayes.

That should work.

> It sounds pretty straightforward except when I do that it
> never works!  What are the exact steps one needs to take when
> installing a fresh Outlook/Spambayes and restoring a prior
> database?  I must be doing something wrong.

Are you definitely copying two files called "default_bayes_database.db" and
"default_messageinfo.db"?  (They hold all the training data).  Do they
definitely end up in the same folder?  The log file says exactly where these
are, if that helps.  What size are these files?

When it doesn't work and you start training again, do the files that you've
copied get replaced, or stay the same?  (Maybe the db's are being put
somewhere else?)  What size are the files after Outlook fails to find them?

> Spambayes first asks if this is the first time it is being
> used.  If I install the database, it should already know
> there is data out there.

Yes, if you get the wizard popping up, then it's definitely not finding the
database files.

=Tony Meyer

---