[Spambayes] question?

Kenny Pitt kennypitt at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 25 13:17:54 EDT 2004

Gary Tenneboe wrote:
> i don't use outlook i didn't like the way it functioned so i use
> incredimail. my email comes from msn and hotmail. my question is this
> will spambayes work for me? if it will what programs that you have do
> i need to download for it to work?

I don't know much about IncrediMail so I don't know if it allows you to
access MSN and Hotmail directly via their HTTP mail interface.  SpamBayes
has a mode that supports POP3 mail accounts, but does not support Web/HTTP
mail access.

If you are using POP3 to access your mail then you should run the SpamBayes
installer and choose the "Server/proxy application" option.  This version of
SpamBayes is configured and trained via a Web browser interface and does not
integrate directly into your mail client, but it is just as effective at
identifying spam.

You'll need to configure the SpamBayes proxy to talk to your mail server,
and then configure IncrediMail to retrieve mail from the SpamBayes proxy
instead of directly from the mail server (usually server "localhost" and
port 110).  You'll also need to configure some rules in IncrediMail to move
Spam and Unsure messages to separate folders because SpamBayes can't do that
automatically.

I'm afraid I can't give you any details about setting this up in
IncrediMail, but maybe there are some other IncrediMail users out there who
have done it already and can provide more info.

--
Kenny Pitt