[Spambayes] I'm running into a resource conflict; SpamBayes freezes my system

Richard B Barger ABC APR Rich at RBarger.com
Tue Jun 29 16:46:08 CEST 2004

Hello.  I'm running into a resource conflict; SpamBayes freezes my
system, which consists of:

Computer - 2.8 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 w/ 2 GB of RAM
Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, with all the updates
Norton Systemworks 2003, v. 6.01 with Norton AntiVirus installed
ZoneAlarm Pro 5.0.590.043
Video - Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead, used with two HP monitors (in
case this is related to a resource conflict)
SpamBayes POP3 Proxy Version 1.0rc2

I do not use Outlook.  I receive a huge volume of mail, which I read in
Netscape 4.79, but I open SpamBayes in Netscape 7.1 and IE 6.0; the same
problems (below) occur with both browsers.  I have a DSL connection.

What is a huge volume?  More than 1000 messages a day, most-most-most of
them spam.

After many false starts, I got SpamBayes up and running, and it runs
smoothly and is doing a respectable job of classifying this volume of
mail.

Here's my bayescustomize.ini:

[pop3proxy]
listen_ports:110
remote_servers:mail.rbarger.com
[Headers]
notate_subject:unsure spam
[Storage]
no_cache_bulk_ham:True
no_cache_large_messages:4500000
[Categorization]
ham_cutoff:0.10
spam_cutoff:0.90
[Categorization]
spam_cutoff:0.90

My log file (SpamBayesServer1.log) appears to be unhelpful; here it is:

Service not availible [note misspelling]. Using thread.
mail.rbarger.com:110
User interface url is http://localhost:8880/

Now, I have several questions.  I'll space them out in separate msgs
over the next few days.  Here's the most serious:

After installing SpamBayes to my working-just-fine system, everything
started going haywire.

I monitor my Windows XP system's Event Viewer, and it shows 147 major
errors from the ZoneAlarm TrueVector Service since installing
SpamBayes.  All seem to be related to Internet Log corruption.  There
were none before the install.

System boots with ZoneAlarm.  I click the desktop icon to load
SpamBayes.  I load Netscape and it works fine and SpamBayes works fine
and ZoneAlarm works fine.  But ...

a - If I try to "configure" SpamBayes while ZoneAlarm is running, my
entire computer hangs, as if it is in a loop.

b - It does not matter if Netscape is loaded or not; as long as
ZoneAlarm is loaded, hitting SpamBayes "configure" locks up my computer
and won't release the resources without a reboot.

c - If I shut ZoneAlarm off, the SpamBayes "configure" module works just
fine.

d - Exactly the same lockup happens with the SpamBayes "review"
function.

e - SpamBayes always allows me to use its View Information and Web-based
"classify a message" functions.  It simply doesn't let me configure or
review, so long as ZoneAlarm is active.

Info:  I have tried resetting the Windows XP advanced performance
settings for processor scheduling and memory usage, and increased my
paging file size, but none of this helped.

So, I'm stuck.  I haven't seen any info about this problem in the
SpamBayes discussion list since I started monitoring it in mid-Jan; one
of the ZoneAlarm discussion groups mentioned it in passing, but really
was talking about another anti-spam product.

As a user, I'm convinced that there is a resource conflict between
ZoneAlarm -- maybe the ZoneAlarm TrueVector module -- and SpamBayes.
Both programs seem to work fine in isolation from one another, and none
of these problems occur when one or the other is shut off.

It's probably more info than you needed -- you may already be familiar
with this resource conflict -- but I thought I'd try to be thorough.

Help!

Rich Barger
Kansas City