I think it's true (Re: [Spambayes] Spambayes as an open mil relay ???)

Tim Stone tim at fourstonesExpressions.com
Mon Mar 1 17:02:40 EST 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:57:56 -0600, Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 06:34:54PM -0000, Lee Edward Armstrong wrote:
>> However today i came back to my pc after work and saw my net connection
>> being
>> hammered....Looked into what my firewall said and the only thing
>> running was
>> spambayes !
>
> I didn't want to believe this, but it looks like it might be the case.

This isn't really a hole in spambayes smtpproxy; the smtp server that it's
proxying is an open relay, and that's the problem.  We'll put an option in
that attempts to control where the smtpproxy accepts connections from.

In the meantime, unless you use the smtpproxy for training purposes, it is
absolutely not necessary.  Simply leave the smtpproxy servers and ports
list empty on the configuration page, and it won't make those connections,
and all is well... this is the default configuration.

--

Exprimez vous!; Exprésese; Esprimi te stesso; Express yourself!
Tim Stone