I think it's true (Re: [Spambayes] Spambayes as an open mil relay ???)

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Tue Mar 2 14:17:48 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:33:37AM -0600, Tim Stone wrote:
> Jeff, do me a favor and try something for me... I don't have smtpproxy set
> up on my machine...
[...]

I think that any hostname specified is somehow ignored.  I have this in
my .spambayesrc:
    [smtpproxy]
    remote_servers: localhost
    listen_ports: localhost:25000
when I start sb_smtpproxy.py it prints
    SMTP Listener on port 25000 is proxying localhost:25
and connections from another machine are accepted.

[With my patch, it prints this
    SMTP Listener on port localhost:25000 is proxying localhost:25
and connections from another machine are not accepted]

The configuration file restricts this item to be made from digits:

$ python -c "from spambayes.Options import options ; print options.display_full()"
[...]
[smtpproxy] listen_ports - "SpamBayes Ports"
Default: ()
Do not restore: 1
Valid values: [\d]+
Multiple values allowed: 1
"Each SMTP server that is being monitored must be assigned to a
     'port' in the Spambayes SMTP proxy.  This port must be different for
     each monitored server, and there must be a port for
     each monitored server.  Again, you need to configure your email
     client to use this port.  If there are multiple servers, you must
     specify the same number of ports as servers, separated by commas."

Jeff