[Spambayes] Questions about this product

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Tue Mar 9 12:26:07 EST 2004

[John Wagner]
>It seems this program works good as long as I am logged in
>at the office. However if I am logged out and check mail
>from terminal server All the spam is still in my inbox.
>When I get to the office it takes outlook awhile to load up
>because I guess it is reading all the email in the inbox
>and classifying it

>Anything I am doing wrong?  Should I load it on terminal
>server?

Since SpamBayes only works at the mail client level, you will need to
have it installed on all of the machines from which you read mail. I use
Windows 2000/XP roaming profiles, so my SpamBayes database follows me
around to different machines. It works pretty well if you have a fast
connection, but since the databases can get to be > 10 MB, you might
need to be careful. Also, be aware that if you install SpamBayes on the
terminal server, it will be active for *all* Outlook users on that
terminal server, but each will have a separate SpamBayes training
database.

Another option would be to change your SpamBayes configuration files to
point to a central network share and store your Spam databases there.
This will work fine, so long as you don't use two different systems at
once.

Finally, you can have SpamBayes installed on just one machine that you
leave logged in with Outlook opem at all times. This is what I do when I
go on vacation, so I can use Outlook Web Access to read my mail but
still have good spam filtering. However, there is no training possible
when you're not on the machine that has SpamBayes installed. I move )the
very few) spam messages missed by SpamBayes into the possible spam
folder from OWA, so I remember to train on them when I get back from
vacation.

Regards,
Ryan Malayter
Bank Administration Institute
Chicago, Illinois, USA
PGP Key: http://www.malayter.com/pgp-public.txt
All problems can be solved by diplomacy, but violence and treachery are
equally effective, and more fun.
      -Anonymous