[Spambayes] Spambayes training: not on sent messages?

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Wed Mar 10 08:02:40 EST 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:06:14PM +0100, frank.clarijs at belgacom.net wrote:
> I tried to train Spambayes today, but found it only trained on about
> half of the ham I served it. It seems that Spambayes is not training on
> messages that I sent, only on messages I received. Is that considered
> the normal way the tool works or is this somewhere a bug?

I would have sworn this is in the FAQ
(http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html) but I didn't find it.
Training on messages you sent is discouraged, and I think the Outlook
plug-in even takes steps to stop you from doing it.

It's presumed that messages you send are sufficiently different from
messages you receive that training on them would not improve the filter
accuracy.

Jeff