[Spambayes] Help

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sat Mar 13 02:53:20 EST 2004

> I am running the latest version of SpamBayes with
> Outlook 2002. I've noticed there is a long lag time from
> when I click on and highlight a message in my inbox and
> the time until it opens in the preview pane. There is a very
> slow response when I click the next message arrow button and
> Outlook takes longer to load as well.

SpamBayes will increase the time that Outlook takes to load (although it
shouldn't be all that much longer), but shouldn't effect the response time
once the program is running (apart from when it's actually doing something,
like if you click "Delete as Spam", or if incoming mail is being filtered).

If you disable SpamBayes, does this go away?  If not, if you uninstall
SpamBayes (your configuration and training data is not uninstalled, so will
automatically still be there when you reinstall), does it go away then?

How many ham and spam messages have you trained on?  I suppose one cause
could be that your database is really big, so Outlook is taking a lot of
memory, and you're really short on memory.  Hard to tell without more
information.  What version of Windows are you using?  If it's NT/2k/XP, take
a look at the Task Manager (via ctrl-alt-delete) and see what numbers are
next to Outlook.exe in the CPU and Memory columns (these are the XP names, I
can't recall what the NT/2k ones are).

=Tony Meyer

---