[Spambayes] Question

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Mar 15 08:55:53 EST 2004

    Joseph> I manage an e-mail server for a large law firm in center city
    Joseph> Philadelphia.  We use Novell GroupWise 6.0 as our e-mail client.
    Joseph> I was wondering if there was any way that I can impliment
    Joseph> spambayes to work with my server and stop the SPAM.  Thanx so
    Joseph> much. : )

    Joseph> We are using WS Windows 2000 Version 5 SP3.

How does the GroupWise client retrieve email from the server?  If it uses
POP3 or IMAP (the two most likely candidates) you should be able to sit
Spambayes between your email client and server.  There are a couple ways to
do this.

If you use POP3, there's a still slightly experimental binary installer
here:

    http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/spambayes/

which will allow you to easily install (and configure?) the Spambayes POP3
proxy (named sb_server.py).

I'm not clear on the steps necessary to use IMAP, but basically you would
install download and install Python and Spambayes then run the
sb_imapfilter.py application to start proxying IMAP sessions.

In either case, you need to change your GroupWise settings to refer to the
Spambayes proxy server and point the proxy server at your real POP3 or IMAP
server.

Skip